We are taking a little break from our Sunday Series to bring you a fun and fresh DIY! Hope you enjoy!
Dry skin. I have it. This year the air has been really dry in San Diego. We don't get a lot of rain anyway, but we are in the the thick of it this year. As a result I'm pretty much constantly smearing avocado and coconut oil all over myself. But it's kind of weird pulling a jar of coconut oil out of your purse in public. People think you're weird. So just for fun, here's a little recipe for homemade lotion. For you. Or it would make a really special gift for a girlfriend, or sister or mom. If you try it, let me know what you think. Instructions are below!
LAVENDER AND ROSEMARY (OR SAGE) LOTION
What you'll need
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup of shea butter
1 cup dried lavender
1/4 cup dried (or fresh) rosemary
1 tablespoon of beeswax
1 tablespoon of aloe
1. Make sure all of your pots, pans and utensils are clean before use
2. In a double boiler combine the coconut oil, the shea butter and the beeswax and cook on low heat, stirring to combine.
3. When they are fully combined, you'll have an oily mixture. Put in an airtight container and allow it to cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
4. In the meantime, boil the lavender and rosemary in a pan for 15 minutes to create a sweet smelling water (Use about 3-4 cups of water)
5. Strain out the flowers and herbs and reserve the water.
6. In an immersion blender or any blender place the now solidified cream in and slowly add in the lavender water, plus the aloe. Combine until everything is blended and creamy. At this point you can also add in a few drops of lavender oil if you feel it needs more scent. I added 4 drops.*
7. Place in a small container to store in your bathroom and you can also use a small glass pill container or washed baby food jar to keep in your purse.
All photos by Alexa Evans for Short & Sweet Blog
SHOP: Coconut Oil // Shea Butter // Beeswax // Lavender Oil